Sunday, November 08, 2009

What does it mean to love your enemies?

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."
-Matthew 5:44

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends."

— J. R. R. Tolkien,


Many of us find it hard to love our enemies, I know I have. It is a difficult concept to grasp. It is easier to hate our enemies and want nothing to do with them. Why should we want anything to do with them? They hurt us, and then they apologize, and do it again. Their apologies mean nothing to us. But God calls us to love our enemies,and treat them as we would like them to treat us. There is a verse in the Bible that says that when we show an act of kindness that is undeserved to an enemy, it is like heaping hot coals on their heads. I think that verse is saying that when we love the people who persecute us or hurt us and show them the love of Christ through our actions, When they see that in us it motivates them to want to change.

I know it is hard to understand, but please bear with me, I don't fully understand this either. But I do believe that it is something that we cannot do by our own strength. Only God can love unconditionally. After all, he did send his Son to die for us. And Jesus could of sent a host of angels to rescue him, but he chose to die for us because he loved us. We were nothing but sinners who deserve to die and rot in hell. But he loved us so much that he showered his grace on us.

So shouldn't we do the same? I'm not saying to accept the sin, to accept the abuse. What I am trying to say is hate the sin, but love the sinner. Show the grace of God through your love towards them. I know it is a hard thing to do? It's easier to tell them to burn in hell. Believe me, if I went by my emotions, I would tell my enemy just that. But Jesus didn't, he loved the sinner. When he was on earth as a man, he spent his entire time trying to reach out to the sinners. He said in Matthew 9:12,that "It is not the healthy that need a doctor but the sick." If he said to every one to burn in hell, he would of destroyed the human race along time ago. But he didn't he chose to love us even though we don't deserve it.

Please try to understand, it is just something that is on my heart. I struggle with the same issue, I live in a home that is broken and probably will never be whole again. My mother has a mental illness,and by her actions our family is in pain. There are times when I can't love my mom, but that is when I have to ask God to love her through me. I am just encouraging you to do the same. For we as Christian's are supposed to have the mind and attitude of Christ.That what "Christian" means, little christ. We are supposed to reflect Christ in our lives, in everything we do.

If you are not a Christian and you are reading this; I want you to know that you can experience God's unconditional love for you today and even right now. All you have to do is confess your sins and believe that Jesus Christ died for you, and rose again.

-Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment